Heep Hong Society
Pilot Project on Tier 1 Support Services in Kindergartens / Kindergarten-cum-Child Care Centres
Introduction | Objectives | Service Targets | Types of Services | Service Charge | Application Method | Withdrawal from Service | Opening Hours | Contact Us
To support children with signs of special needs, the Social Welfare Department, through the Lotteries Fund, launched a 20-month project (Extended until August 2023) namely “the Pilot Project on Tier 1 Support Services in Kindergartens/ Kindergarten-cum-Child Care Centres” (the Pilot Project) in 2020/21 school year.
Children awaiting assessment by Child Assessment Centres (CACs), or assessed by CACs to have borderline developmental problems, etc. will be given early intervention services by Project Teams, operated by non-governmental organisations, to promote their normal development and to facilitate their integration into mainstream education.
- Equip teachers and child care workers with knowledge and skills to conduct initial screening on children with mild developmental problems and make adaptation to teaching methods and curriculum to address the diverse needs of children
- Provide short-term training for children with mild developmental problems
- Offer support to parents in fostering a positive attitude and effective skills in addressing the specific needs of their children
Children under six and studying in KGs / KG-cum-CCCs participating in the Pilot Project who are:
- Waitlisted for assessment of Child Assessment Centres (CAC); or
- Assessed by CAC to have mild developmental problems or single disability but not eligible for subvented pre-school rehabilitation services; or
- Having disabilities or special needs in spectrum of learning, social interaction, behaviour or emotion.
Parents / carers and teachers / child care workers of the aforementioned children
Types of Services
Kindergarten Teacher: Provide professional consultation and demonstration, offer training and advice on initial screening, curriculum accommodation and classroom management
Pre-school Child: Provide short-term training for children in need
- Parent: Foster positive parenting and effectiveness through professional consultation and counselling
Free of charge
Parents/carers may consult the teachers or other professions (e.g. social workers in pre-primary institutions) of participating KGs/KG-cum-CCCs
- Parents / carers can also approach the Project Team direct for enquiry
Withdrawal from Service
The project team will conduct the service withdrawal procedure for children who are in the following situations:
- Assessed as not having follow-up needs after professional assessment or receiving the Pilot Project service; or
- Obtained a place in subvented pre-school rehabilitation services; or
- Entered a mainstream primary school or a special school
Parents who wish to withdraw their child from the service due to personal reasons may call the relevant project team manager during office hours to apply for withdrawal.
Monday to Saturday 8:45am-5:00pm (except public holidays)
Address: Unit 09, 8/F, Grand City Plaza, 1 Sai Lau Kok Road, Tsuen Wan, N.T.
Telephone: +852 3615 1343